Order of operations
- Finish installing trim and filling
- Start filling walls
- Paint trim
- Mask trim and finish painting walls
Painting and Paints
Dulux Easycare Washable & Tough Matt Emulsion Paint - really good coverage, a brilliant white.
Dulex Matt Emulsion Pure Brilliant White thin, poor opacity, slightly yellow compared with the easycare, not worth it.
Leyland Satinwood Fast Drying a tricky paint to use, needs to be put on thick with minimal brushing Working with water based gloss helped. The benefit is though easy clean up and no smell. Hard to get a good finish, but it's definitely worth it for not having to mess around with solvents.
- Good synthetic brush
- Wet brush before use
- Paint in one direction, apply thick, even out, move on. Going back just makes it worse
Next time I'll get a short extension pole for the roller, to reduce the amount of bending down to load the roller.
- Expanding foam, then trim
- Then fast drying plaster based filler, sand back with eletric sander and shopvac. I used 80 grit. A plastering trowel really helps with blending and reduces the amount of sanding. In time I'd love to get good enough not to need to sand because it's slow, messy and noisy.
- Polycell One Fill seems expensive but so easy to apply, and fast drying. 30mins and it can be sanded easily. With a bit of practice it can probably be applied without needing sanding. Great for evening for filling any small holes left after sanding
This process worked well, and gave a good finish. More sanding and filling gives a better finish. It's a wall at the end of the day though and not a classic car.
The fast drying epoxy fillers are quick but very hard, so tricky to sand. The Polycell One Fill was good enough and much quicker and less smelly to apply
DON'T bung a load of caulk in big gaps, it takes ages to dry and shrinks.
- Drill and counter sink hole in skirting
- Drill into wall
- Hammer the screw through with a wall plug on
- Tighten down
For uneven wall this meant it was possible to suck the skirting up against the wall so there was less filling.